Meaningful Use Stage 2 Increases Focus on Structured Data & Care Coordination
Stage 2 builds upon the basic EHR functionality that is laid in Stage 1 and progresses to a greater emphasis on care coordination, patient engagement, utilization of structured data for continuous quality improvement at the point of care, and the exchange of health information. Stage 2 requires more of a team approach, with the reorganization of meaningful use tasks to follow patient flow.
- Most of the core and menu objectives from Stage 1 become core objectives in Stage 2.
- Several menu objectives are added in Stage 2, including the recording of family history, EHR accessibility of imaging results, and the entering of electronic progress notes in patient records.
- A patient portal or some other method of web access is required.
- Lab interface is not mandatory but the threshold for structured lab results is too high for manual entry of data.
- Formulary checking, drug-drug and drug-allergy checks are required as part of e-Prescribing.
- Public health reporting of immunizations is required.
- More information is required on the post-visit summary/clinical summary/patient plan.
- Periodic EHR security risk assessments and the implementation of risk mitigation plans is emphasized.